Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Chapter 4

There I stood at the door of room 672. Amy was asleep, bruises and cuts adorned her face. Her left arm was in a bright pink cast, black sharpie everywhere.

“Go pull up a chair. I would take off the cuff’s nut I can’t, victim safety, and all” Detective Robertson addressed. I nodded and pulled over a chair to the other side off the bed. With her hand cupped in mine I began to softly sing, “’You raise me up; So I can stand on mountains; You raise me up; To walk on stormy seas; I am strong when I ; Am on you shoulder; You raid me up; to more than I can be” As I finished Amy slowly blinked her eyes open.

“Miah?” she asked weakly

“Yes Amy, it’s me.” I answered rubbing her hand with my thumb, “I’m so sorry, Amy. If I hadn’t had made you walk ho…” she slipped her hand from mine and put two fingers to my mouth.

“It’s not your fault; you did nothing to hurt me.” I took my hands down from her bead making the chains rattle.

“What’s with the handcuffs?” Detective Robertson walked into the room and pulled a chair opposite from me. She spoke:

“Jeremiah is under arrest for your rape, Amy.”

“How?!” Amy sat up and stared at the cop.

“Forensics found Jeremiah’s blood in the room; also he is the only one who has a key to your room other than Anne.” Amy was getting angry, and when she lost her temper she went all out.

“First of all, my major is Forensic Pathology. That night I had to get a blood sample for class the next day. I also had a date with Miah, when he came to pick me up I took a sample. Some of it dripped on the floor. Thought Miah said I should clean it up, I insisted that we were late enough.”

“That explains the blood. Do you know anything else that may help?”

“I know who did this to me.”

“Wait, you know who raped you?!” Detective Robertson sounded and looked shocked, heck, I was shocked.

“That is what I said.”

“Amy, I don’t think that this is the time for an attitude,” I rebuked, she looked at me and rolled her eyes.

“Miah, Shut-Up!” Detective Robertson chuckled at Amy’s scold.

“Amy,” Robertson said trying to calm down, “could you start from the beginning so I can get this on tape.” Amy nodded as Detective Robertson took out a small recorder and pressed play.

“It was a normal collage day. Miah came up to the dorm so he could escort me to my first class, like he does every day.” She smiled at me and started rubbing my hand with her thumb. “There he asked if I wanted to got to dinner around seven, and of course I said ‘yes’. I went to all my classes. Usually Anne and her brother Steve, Miah’s roomie, come join Jeremiah and me for lunch. They never showed. Miah took me back to my dorm and left for work.

“I did homework till about six, and then I took a shower and got ready for dinner. While brushing my hair I noticed a post-it note that said I needed a blood sample for class. So, since Miah was coming over I figured he could be my victim. He got there around 6:42 and I took the sample, accidentally dropping some on the floor. He told me to clean it up but I left it there because we were late.

“We had a wonderful dinner. Miah was going to walk me back to my dorm, but I told him that I was a big girl and could handle it. We parted. When I got to the bush right outside my dorm, around ten, somebody grabbed me and gagged me. The porch light on the building was on and I saw both of them. Anne and Steve were there. Anne told me everything was going to be fine and that this was just a step up. Then…Steve…” she choked, tears streaming down her cheeks. She looked at me and I nodded, she smiled and continued, “When it was over Steve held out a gun, and explained to the shrieking Amy that I could not live. At this point, Amy caught a glimpse of Mrs.Shoreck and told Steve to run. Anne said that she had found me and the perp had run for it. Mrs.Shoreck, being one of Anne’s teachers, believed her and they brought me here. While she was getting me a wheelchair, Anne slugged me. The next thing I knew, I was in this room.” Amy let go of my hand. I couldn’t believe it. My best friend since I was in fourth grade had raped my girlfriend, whom he helped me to win over. And he did this with the help of his sister, Amy’s friend and roommate. How could they have done this?

“Thank you Amy, I’m afraid we have to leave.” Amy nodded at these words and smiled as I got up. I placed my hands on her sides and bent down to kiss her. She pushed me away and I felt her cringe as she closed her eyes. I let her go and walked out of the room in utter silence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home